March 16



I woke up at around 11:00 and threw a load of laundry in, I hadn’t done any since Barcelona and I was definitely due. Everyone started waking up one by one for the Mesclata and we left at about 1:20 for it. Today it was awesome; each day gets progressively stronger and I can’t imagine what it will be like on the last day of Fallas. I talked to a guy in a suit that actually is the Vice President of a consulting firm here in Valencia. I should have asked him for an internship or at least his business card.

We got back and had lunch. They haven’t had orange soda this week, which has been pretty disappointing. We had only forty-five minutes until our group activity so a few of us went on the rooftop patio to enjoy how much of a beautiful night it was. Our activity was going around and looking at the ninots that have won prizes. They are so incredibly cool. Each ninot is so creative and so colorful. Diego and I ended up getting separated from the group after about an hour and we decided just to continue the tour ourselves.

There was a parade going on and all of the little girls looked so cute dressed as Falleras. A walking band started a street chant and surrounded us as we walked with them. It was the coolest experience ever; they started dancing and had a whole cheer that everyone yelled. We headed back to the dorm at about 6:00 and I hung out with everyone in Diego’s room until around dinnertime. The choices of food wasn’t my all time favorite but I settled on some chicken croquet bites and some French fries.

After dinner, I showered and we all met up to leave. Since the street is one big party, we all decided to get good seats for the firework show and just hang out where they are launched. I met a lot of really cool people while we were waiting; I have really enjoyed talking Spanish because I feel like it has really improved. The fireworks were great, and our seats couldn’t have been better.

After the show, we hung out there for a while before we started moving. I ended up getting separated from the UGA group because I was dumb and followed some Spanish students who said they wanted to hang out with me. I hung out with them for a while until we lost ways. At this point I was pretty lost and was really wishing I had a cell phone to meet up with everyone.

I don’t remember much of what happened next, only being pushed to the ground in the middle of the street and having six Spanish guys kick and punch me. They stole my wallet and 100 euros and they left me unconscious in the middle of the street. An ambulance took me to the hospital at 6:00 but I actually didn’t come to until I was in the hospital. It was the craziest thing that has ever happened to me. While it sounds awful, it could have been so much worse.


**I will explain more of what happened tomorrow, I am just so thankful that nothing too bad happened. My nose is not broken (which the doctors thought at first) and my lip is just really swollen.

No comments:

Post a Comment