January 30

I took full advantage of being able to sleep in. I slept until about 1:15 and woke up feeling very refreshed. I was sore from working out the night before but some people had a P90x DVD and they asked if I wanted to go work out on the roof. Despite being sore, I gave in. This was the first time I had seen these videos before and found them to be impossible. I was so sore but the lunges and jumps about killed me.

I hobbled down the stairs and went to lunch. We had some lamb with French fries. I had an orange soda and feel in love. The orange soda here is so much better than back in the U.S. After lunch, we all hung out before we went to the Falles museum at 4:30. The weather was great, the sun was out and the sky was so blue.

The museum was really far away. We took a long walk through El Rio but the day was so nice, everyone really enjoyed it. We stopped at a playground in a part of El Rio called. Guliver. He is a famous man from Spain and they have a huge monument to him made of slides. We finally made it to the Falles museum about an hour after leaving.

We were led into a rrom and watched a video about the Falles Festival. It is an ancient festival in Valencia that takes place in mid-March every year. People spend all year making floats that they eventually burn at the end of the week. It is a weeklong 24 hour party. Complete with fireworks, dancing and debauchery. Each year since around the start of the 20th centur, the museum has collected pieces of floats from the yearly festival.

The had an exhibit set up arranged by decades. I didn’t like it at all. All of the characters were very scary looking and were pretty crude. The one thing I liked was I saw a couple Disney characters representing in the museum. I really liked the posters that accompanied the float; they had amazing artwork. A few of us had seen enough and decided to take a taxi to the store. Our taxi driver was Algerian, which was definitely experience. We picked up some wine, a baguette, some cheese and headed back to the dorm.

We did our usual nightly routine and went to O’haras. I brought out my cultural scavenger hunt and got a lot answered. I had a lot of fun. After, a bunch of us went to Radio City, and a discothèque called Music Box. A bunch of us stayed and danced into the wee hours of the morning. Before we went to bed, we made a pact to wake up at 12:30 and go to the beach. My bed felt so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment